September 15, 2020
At Oregon State University, it is our tradition for all faculty and staff to gather together on the eve of the start of fall term, to celebrate recipients of university awards for teaching, research and service, and to reflect on our roles as educators and mentors. University Day serves as a celebratory launch to the academic year and includes a powerful keynote address, meaningful discussion, inspiring and informative activities through the virtual Expo, awards recognition, and fun prizes for participants. In keeping with OSU’s commitment to supporting personal wellness and public health, University Day 2020 will be presented virtually.
Keynote Session with
Dr. Freeman Hrabowski
The Empowered University: Shared Leadership in Challenging Times
Tuesday, September 15
10 to 11:30 a.m.
Dr. Freeman A. Hrabowski, President of University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) since 1992, is a consultant on science and math education to national agencies, universities, and school systems. He was named by President Obama to chair the President’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for African Americans. He also chaired the National Academies’ committee that produced the report, Expanding Underrepresented Minority Participation: America’s Science and Technology Talent at the Crossroads (2011). His 2013 TED talk highlights the “Four Pillars of College Success in Science.”
Named one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World by TIME (2012) and one of America’s Best Leaders by U.S. News & World Report (2008), he also received TIAA-CREF’s Theodore M. Hesburgh Award for Leadership Excellence (2011), the Carnegie Corporation’s Academic Leadership Award (2011), and the Heinz Award (2012) for contributions to improving the “Human Condition.” More...
Prizes are a traditional part of the excitement behind University Day! Even though we met virtually this year, this fun tradition continues! All attendees of the live University Day keynote session were automatically entered into a daily prize drawing (M-F) through Sept. 25. Also, anyone who watches the keynote session recording and answers a quiz, will be also be entered.
Congratulations to the recipients of our daily prize drawings:
- Amy Hunter – OSU Foundation/OSU Alumni Association prize bundle ($300 value) containing $100 Dutch Bros gift certificate, $100 Sees Candies gift certificate and 6 bottles of wine from Tyee Wine Cellars
- Faith Vawter – a pair of Nike College Zoom Pegasus 37 Oregon State running shoes ($130 value)
- Emily Nicholson - Beaver Store gift certificate ($100 value)
- Catherine Lanier - $100 OSU Beaver Store gift card
- Virginia Neylon - OSU Beaver Store Souvenir basket
- Justin Sanders - OSU Beaver Store Apparel basket
- Tracy Martin - OSU Beaver Store Souvenir basket
- Laura Hampton - OSU Beaver Store Apparel basket
Veronica Royce - Division of Arts & Sciences Basket including:
- College of Education - Annual family membership to the Oregon Coast Aquarium
- College of Science - Annual family plus membership to the Oregon Museum of Science & Industry
- College of Liberal Arts - 2 tickets to the 2021 Bard in the Quad, a copy of Old Newgate Road by Keith Scribner, a copy of Fables and Futures by George Estreich
- Michaella Sektnan - $100 OSU Beaver Store gift card
- Rich Duncombe - OSU Beaver Store Souvenir basket
- Kari-Lyn Sakuma - OSU Beaver Store Apparel basket